Saturday, March 17, 2012
Call for Volunteers: Wicker Park's Gardens
Note: following is a message from Doug Wood of the Wicker Park Garden Club. A release form from the park district must be signed and brought with you prior to gardening. You can print the form, included here.
This Saturday, March 17 - We will begin gardening at the 10,000 sq. ft of Gardens in Wicker Park.
During the next few weeks we will clear off the gardens, cut back ornamental grasses and other perennials, add soil amendments, and prune summer blooming shrubs. You will work with a Veteran Wicker Park Gardeners when you volunteer in the garden. They will instruct you on what to do and how to do it – so, you can learn the horticultural techniques and then apply them at your home gardens. PLEASE ask QUESTIONS – it is a time to learn.
1. PLEASE Let Me Know Which Days and Times You’d Like to Attend – You can attend the entire session (10am-2pm) or come later – like (11:30-2).
2. PLEASE SIGN the attached form and bring to the first session. This form is required for all who work in Park District Community Gardens in the Parks.
3. Please bring pruners, kneepads, a trowel, and gloves if you have them.
MARCH – Please let me know which days and times you would like to garden.
1. Saturday, March 17 – 10am – 2pm
2. Saturday, March 24 – 10am-2pm
3. Saturday, March 31 – No Gardening
TOOL SHARPENING at Private Home
APRIL – Please let me know which days and times you would like to garden.
1. Saturday, April 7 – 10am – 2pm
2. Saturday, April 14 – 10am – 2pm – Devoted to Mulching All Trees in the Park – Also Garden Tending
3. Saturday, April 21 – 10am – 2pm - EARTH DAY AND GARDENING
4. Saturday, April 28 – 10am – 2pm
PLANT SALE – SAT/SUN MAY 5 & 6 – Volunteer times
These shifts are the same times on both Saturday and Sunday.
DISCOUNT: Those who work 4 hrs get 10% discount on plants
SHIFT I - 8am-10am – Set up
SHIFT II - 10am-12noon
SHIFT III - 12-2pm
SHIFT IV - 2-4pm
SHIFT V - 4-5 – Tear Down