Monday, June 14, 2010

Images from a Social at Louie's Pub








(To prevent scroll fatigue in tomorrow's pipeline, I am posting these photos and a recap in its entirety here)

Though I was only there the first hour or so, yesterday's first Wicker Park Social at Louie's Pub, 1659 W. North, proved at least one thing: its organizer Michelle can certainly find and bring out the local menfolk!

Michelle, in blue, works as a census crew leader and has a background in accounting. She was laid off from a full-time auditing gig and told me that the impetus for the event was that she wanted to meet neighbors and create a social network in her neighborhood of Bucktown.

I was impressed by Michelle's initiative to put the grassroots event together with no advertising, using social media (I'd heard of the event on Facebook) as well as secure a bar host and food sponsors.

Guests at the free gathering dined on wings from Wing Stop and pizza from Pie Eyed, and played Wii as I snacked on popcorn and chatted up Pipeline sponsor, Al of Spenadel Tax & Accounting Services, for his next Al-ism, naturally related to the Blackhawks and the Stanley Cup. Also of note, I finally met Joe Lake in the flesh after over a year of being exposed to his writings and commentaries.

All of the said folks are featured in these accompanying pics along with Louie's Pub bartender Melissa, a bouncer whose name escapes me, DJ Robert Sepulveda, and a few other local men. Perhaps the female centric free tarot night at caffe De Luca, 1721 N. Damen, should collide with one of Michelle's events?

UPDATE: This was a comment from Michelle on the Facebook page, I was just kidding about all the men, but after I left many women came too. "PS we had a couple big crews of girls come in after u left that really made it a lot more fun!"- michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment