Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Year in Humboldt Park, by Dina Petrakis






A Year in Humboldt Park
By Dina Petrakis

I started visiting Humboldt Park 15 years ago, as a place to exercise me and the dog. It has become much more- the Park both soothes and invigorates me.
The restoration in 2002 of the historic Boat House, the huge investment in hardscape and native plants, the 100-year-later realization of Jens Jensen’s Prairie River made it even better.

My interest in Jens Jensen (the benefits I get from the Park are exactly what his stated goals were, AND he was the first to use native plants in parks!) and my desire to document a life cycle of the Park, Sand County Almanac style, moved me to photograph the Park for the entire year of 2009.

The Year furthered my love of the Park and desire to celebrate it. Migrating birds, native plants and trees, stately structures in the beauty of all seasons moved me to share it with Chicago. The Park District and Parkways Foundation supported it, so A Year in Humboldt Park will be exhibited at the Boathouse, 1359 N. Sacramento, from August 11 thru October 29.

For more info see ayearinhumboldtpark.com
BY DINA PETRAKIS

(Note: posters added by Dina. Other pics are from a recent walk through Humboldt with Dina, and I am posting them here for the purpose of linking to them in today's pipeline which I woke up at 4:45 AM to finish and am determined to do so soon. The only problem with taking a day off for the holiday is that the work is there waiting for you!)

1 comment:

  1. I grew up and attended school in the Humboldt Park neighborhood 1949-1952. I remember being able to ride my bike in the park with friends and even by myself; I was only 8-9 years old. Now I am old and live far away. Sometime I'd like to visit Humboldt Park again, but I've heard that is no longer safe, because of the gang activity there, especially the "Latin Kings". This makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete