The following is cut and pasted in its entirety from 14th District.
Area Five Detective Division
August 18, 2010
About the Crime:
Please be aware of a current deceptive practice in which suspects pose as Health Department employees attempting to schedule inspections of local businesses. The suspects then tell victims they will receive text messages to their personal cell phones with a "code" to relate to inspectors when they arrive for inspection and to enter into an email. The Department of Health does not have such a procedure. It is unknown at this time if any fraudulent activity has occurred as a result these attempts.
What To Know:
• Dept of Health DOES NOT utilize text messaging or websites to schedule inspections.
• Dept of Health DOES NOT issue a "code" or confirmation number for inspections.
• Dept of Health encourages businesses to ask for employee identification, along with
What You Can Do:
• Do not give out personal information, such as email address or cell phone number.
• Call the Department of Health at (312) 747-9884 to verify.
• Contact CAPS office at (312) 744-1261
• Make other businesses in your area aware of this scam
• Contact 9-1-1 for an emergency